In her book, The Wisdom of Whores, Elizabeth Pisani argues for a more sophisticated understanding of the epidemiology of HIV and a more dedicated focus on vulnerable communities. Truly engaging these communities require us to get rid of preconceptions and our own queasiness or disapproval of what they actually do. Not safe for work. Full essay.
Yawning Bread, which began in November 1996, has been running for 20 years.
- Let’s see who’s T rex now
- Did we get more economic growth by giving up our freedoms?
- The loneliness of loving Berg
- Auxiliary thoughts about auxiliary police
- Rebuilding from the rubble of 2016 voter-quakes
- Zika erupts in Singapore: how we made it worse than it might otherwise have been
- The gay issue in Malaysia and Indonesia as a window into the civilisational crisis of the Islamic world
- Big bank, big government, but the similarity ends there
- Hushed tracks
- When the powerful plead fragility, we’re done for