When are we ever going to get a truly critical look at Singapore’s modern history? I doubt if Men in White, a new book that the Straits Times is heavily promoting, is it. Meanwhile the newspaper asks a question everybody else has long asked: What if the PAP turns bad? But why is the question in the future tense? Full essay.
Yawning Bread, which began in November 1996, has been running for 20 years.
- Fake alarms from fake news
- There was once a buffalo here
- Spreading a bit of money to “position Singapore for the future”
- Let’s see who’s T rex now
- Did we get more economic growth by giving up our freedoms?
- The loneliness of loving Berg
- Auxiliary thoughts about auxiliary police
- Rebuilding from the rubble of 2016 voter-quakes
- Zika erupts in Singapore: how we made it worse than it might otherwise have been
- The gay issue in Malaysia and Indonesia as a window into the civilisational crisis of the Islamic world